Are you passionate about providing opportunity and empowerment to others? Do you feel compelled to use your skills to build products, programs and services that allow community members to access transformative opportunities and sustainable careers? Would you like to join a small team where your work will have a direct impact on the organization and the lives of others? At Unloop, we’re building the pipeline from prison to tech, and we’re looking for a Software Developer and Instructor to join our efforts. Currently Unloop operates both a software development bootcamp, as well as an innovative social enterprise - an in house software development agency. Collaborating closely with the Executive Director, this software engineer will be responsible for building world class applications, while simultaneously supporting the development and careers of formerly incarcerated talent. This position offers you a rare, high-growth opportunity to join a team building a premier social venture at the intersection of tech and social justice.
Unloop’s mission is to enable people who have been in prison to succeed in careers in tech. We partner with in-prison college programs offering web development to create an end-to-end pathway to a career. When students are nearing their release dates, we offer re-entry support and resource navigation to support them during their transition home to their community. We provide bootcamp-style continuing education, work experience, and employment services that empower students with the skills, experience, and connections they need to be successful in careers in the fast-growing tech industry post-release. We're looking for motivated humans to join us in changing the lives of people with conviction history through technology.
In this role, you will:
Lead projects for Unloop’s education programs, such as:
- Improve and develop new curriculum to adjust to changing industry standards and technologies, including coursework, homework and project materials
- Design and manage processes for effective student learning (virtual)
- Collaborate with faculty members to customize educational materials and tools to make them work in Unloop’s offline educational environment inside prison
Lead direct student instruction
- Lead interactive lectures and programming exercises
- Conduct periodic student assessments, providing detailed, actionable, and constructive feedback to students
- Assist in creating and grading lesson plans, assignments, and projects
Build processes and programs to assess and improve student ‘readiness’ and employability:
- Collaborate with Unloop’s employer network to align curriculum content and objectives with industry needs and expectations
- Design and conduct pre-employment student technical readiness assessment, and provide detailed, actionable and constructive feedback to students
When educational programs are not in session, work on client projects, including pro bono projects during the bootcamp, for Unloop’s software development agency which will provide students with real world experience through completing paid projects for paying customers
- With the support of the Board and Executive Program Director, scope projects
- Run client projects and manage customer expectations
- Project manage, and mentor team of Unloop participants to produce high quality work that exceeds client expectations
- Experiment and iterate on the strategy and model for Unloop’s software development agency in partnership with the Unloop Board of Directors and Executive Director
- 2+ years of professional experience as a Software Developer required
- Professional or volunteer teaching experience in an educational institution or program
- Proven history of cultivating effective and authentic relationships with others
- Expertise hosting, deploying and managing web applications,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Anti oppression knowledge and the ability to translate that knowledge to influence operations, policy, and organizational culture
- Understanding of mass incarceration, including causes and impacts
- Personal connection to people who have experienced incarceration and/or re-entry
- Or any combination of education, experience, and measurable performance that demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of the position
Nice to have:
- Personal exposure to the criminal legal system, such as incarceration and/or re-entry
- Experience in early stage startup, non-profit, or community initiative
- Experience scoping and managing client work & customer lifecycle, with a demonstrated track record of delivering high quality client work
- Experience as an entrepreneur
Salary for this position is $85,000-$90,000 per year plus benefits and a generous time off policy.
This position is currently remote, however if Unloop were to reopen our offices, we would expect this role to relocate to Seattle, WA.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter detailed why working with people who are previously incarcerated is important to you.
People of color, women, l/g/b/t/q/i/+ individuals, those with disabilities, immigrants, those with working class backgrounds, and those with conviction history are strongly encouraged to apply. Unloop is an equal opportunity employer.