Are you passionate about providing opportunity and empowerment to others? Do you feel compelled to use your skills to build products, programs and services that allow community members to access transformative opportunities and sustainable careers? Would you like to join a small team where your work will have a direct impact on the organization and the lives of others? At Unloop, we’re building the pipeline from prison to tech, and we’re looking for a Software Developer to join our innovative social enterprise - an in house software development agency. Collaborating closely with the Lead Developer and the Executive Director, this software engineer will be responsible for building world class applications, while simultaneously supporting the development and careers of formerly incarcerated talent. This position offers you a rare, high-growth opportunity to join a team building a premier social venture at the intersection of tech and social justice.
Unloop’s mission is to enable people who have been in prison to succeed in careers in tech. We offer coding education in partnership with community colleges at Washington Corrections Center for Women (WCCW) and Monroe Correctional Complex (MCC). When students are nearing their release dates, we offer re-entry support, continued education, and employment services that empower students with the skills, experience, and connections they need to be successful in careers in the fast-growing tech industry post-release. We're looking for motivated humans to join us in changing the lives of people with conviction history through technology.
In this role, you will:
Create beautiful applications for clients in Unloop’s software development agency, which provides students with real world experience through completing paid projects for paying customers
- Collaborate with the Lead Developer to create high-performance, beautiful applications for our clients
- Participate in, as well as lead, code and design reviews, ensuring the quality of both deliverables
- Develop and improve team best practices for coding, operational excellence and design
- Support, mentor and manage Unloop graduates to produce high quality work that exceeds client expectations
- Support Lead Developer in running client projects against budget, timeline, and customer expectations
- Experiment and iterate on the strategy and model for Unloop’s software development agency in partnership with the Lead Developer and Executive Director
- Experience mentoring / pairing with junior developers or interns
- Experience in programming, with a high aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts and languages
- Two or more years of production software development experience in current web technologies
- Experience or familiarity delivering products or experiences across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Expertise hosting, deploying and managing web applications,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Anti oppression knowledge and the ability to translate that knowledge to influence operations, policy, and organizational culture
- Understanding of mass incarceration, including causes and impacts
- Personal connection to people who have experienced incarceration and/or re-entry
- Or any combination of education, experience, and measurable performance that demonstrates the capability to perform the duties of the position
Nice to have:
- Personal exposure to the criminal legal system, such as incarceration and/or re-entry
- Experience in early stage startup, non-profit, or community initiative
- Experience leading development teams
- Experience as an entrepreneur
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter describing why this position speaks to you and why you care about supporting individuals experiencing incarceration. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Salary for this position is $85,000 per year plus benefits.
Unloop is currently operating fully remotely, employees would be expected to move to Seattle within 30 days of Unloop re-opening our office. There is currently no date set to return to the office.
People of color, women, l/g/b/t/q/i/+ individuals, those with disabilities, immigrants, those with working class backgrounds, and those with conviction history are strongly encouraged to apply. Unloop is an equal opportunity employer.